Thursday, January 22, 2009

New Year Resolution

“New Year’s Resolution” … a phrase I was completely unaware of when I was in India in 90’s. I won’t be surprised if majority of Indian now know what New Year’s resolution is. A lot changed in India since I left to States 9 years ago. We have pizza, burgers, macaroni and cheese, and even sweet corn in India now…. You name it we have it. Anyway, that’s a whole new theme for blog ;) Coming back to the subject, a distant friend of mine asked me “What is your New year’s resolution?” on New Year’s Eve party in 2000. Suddenly I find myself without words to talk. I looked around and see everyone in the party was talking about their plans for New Year. It was annoying at some point.

I came home that night with a dark cloud on my head. I made a quick search on the Internet to read more about New Year’s Resolution. I didn’t find much on the internet that time except all about losing weight and debt free. I turned on the Television only to find advertisements and TV programs on New Year’s resolution. Fueled by advertisements and society I took a blank paper and wrote down my resolution for the first time in my life. “Lose weight” I wrote followed by several other things to achieve that year.

It’s been 8 years since I wrote that list; it was my first and last New Year’s resolution list. Sheer apprehension of knowing something new made me to write that list but I never grasped the concept at all. I never understood the idea of procrastinating anything until New Year to achieve it. If someone wants to lose weight they have to start right away isn’t it? What is it with Year New that’s makes it so persuasive for our tardy tasks to be more feasible? Anyway, if you want to achieve something, take actions to achieve it without any delay. I leave those fancy New Year Resolution talk to others and all the marketing gimmicks to TV. For me today is the day to achieve.

No comments: