Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mother Goddess

There is an adage in Hindu religion which goes as

“MatrudEvObhava; PitrudEvobhava; AchAryadEvOBHava; AthidhidEvOBHava”. In simple words it means pray your mother, pray your father, pray your guru, and pray your guest.

In Hindu religion, mother is equated to God. Mother is given the top most respect and she is the outward appearance or phenomenon, form, shape, figure of God. Mothers’ in India is venerated because of her capability of giving life, her war-like fertility, her sacrifice, her Devi like form to protect her child, her devoted care and unquestionable love. The planet Earth is called Budevi meaning mother earth or in other word “Maa”. The country itself is called “Bharat maatha” meaning mother India. The entire topography of the country is feminine dominant right from trees, river, mountain, stream, all the way to language. I love the fact that mothers and women in general are given such prominence in India and I hope modernization and westernized lifestyle will not change this magnificent and rich tradition of India.

I love my mother and she means the world to me. If you ask me if I consider my mother God, I would say “YES “in a blink. I don’t even have to think about it even for a split second. I simply base my answer on the fact that I have the utmost deference for her and by equating her to God, I’m pouring my immense respect know to human kind. I think whoever (whether a mom, step mom, adopted moms, dad, uncle, aunty or even a mentor to name a few) forfeit their personal needs to see their beloved ones grow, nurture and protect them, be there in the times of need, mentor them to have a better life is no less than God. I hope every one of us is blessed enough to have someone in our life worthy of God status (someone like a mother, a father, spouse, sibling, grand parents, teacher or a friend to name some). If you don’t have God in your life then be one to someone. We all need God : -)

No comments: